quarta-feira, janeiro 19, 2011

in comparative sense

When we write about truth we should adress ourselves. When in writing we are didactic and admonitory, we must consider that we instruct and admonish only ourselves, for our own failings alone. The reader is a happy accident. One must allow the reader his liberty, his liberty to contradict what is written, his liberty to be distracted by alternatives. Therefore it would be improper for me to try to convince the reader of all that is in this book. It is enough that you imagine me now, as I am, with the companionship of my recollections, in comparative peace, desiring the solace of no one. It is enough that you imagine me now, elderly scribe to my younger self, and accept that I am changed, and that it was different before.

in, The Benefactor - Susan Sontag

[In comparative sense...] 

... When in performing we are didactic and admonitory, we must consider that we instruct and admonish only ourselves, for our own failings alone. The spectator is a happy accident. One must allow the spectator his liberty, his liberty to contradict what's being said (acted, performed...), his liberty to be distracted by alternatives. Therefore it would be improprer of any artist/creator to try to convince the audience of all that is in any of their works.

Sem comentários:

Seguidores